Sunday, 10 February 2013

Information on the Newberry, Pole and Puddy families....

This is the information provided by Jillian Taylor, a descendant of Jasper and Margaret (Atkins) Newberry.

Perhaps most importantly the new information provides knowledge of additional children for Jasper and Margaret of which we had not previously been aware.


Left from Liverpool on 25th February 1857 and arrived in Port Adelaide on 4 June 1857.
On board was JOHN POLE , 15 years old (Birth date – c1842), a farm labourer from Somerset , UK.
A comment on the ships passenger list was “ travelling with?”


Left Plymouth in 1860 and into Port Adelaide on the 1st December 1860.
On board were a young couple Noah Newberry , 34 years , a shepherd labourer of Abergavenny, Monmouth and his wife Sarah (Harries) Newberry, 23 years old.
Sarah gave birth to a daughter on the ship over to Australia.
Noah came from the same town as Jasper  Newberry which WAS in Wales but borders were adjusted and it became part of Somerset, England during the 1800’s.
Probably related as all Newberry’s were originally closely connected back in the day.

Left Plymouth, London (shipping agents – Elders, Stirling & Co) on the 2 August 1862 and sailed into South Australia on 30th October 1862.
Edward Puddy , 17, was a prentice Groom and William Puddy , 18 was a Carpenter of Somerset.
William Pole, 22,  from  Caltolt, Somerset.

Left Portsmouth, UK on  26th September in 1863 and arrived Adelaide, South Australia 9th January 1864.
On board was Anna Puddy , 18 year old single woman and  a servant from Somerset.
Anne  Poole was also listed on the same ship.
(The spelling of Pole MAY have been Poole ) - look into this.


Left Plymouth, London (shipping agents – Elders, Smith & Co) on the 5th September  1863 and arrived in Adelaide on the 14 December 1863.
On board were JASPER NEWBERRY  and SARAH POLE both 21. Also on board was EMILY POOLE, 18 years old (possibly Pole).  Jasper Newberry was listed as a Labourer Builder.
Jasper was listed as living at Monmouth and Sara and Emily were listed as from Somerset.

As it is common family history that Jasper came out to South Australia with 2 cousins by the name of Puddy  and Pole,  I think it is quite reasonable that Sarah (and maybe Emily) were actually those cousins that came on the same ship as Jasper .
There were other Poles and Puddys in the colony when Jasper sailed in on the SIR JOHN LAWRENCE. Some of these cousins had arrived only 14 months before Jasper and MAY have waited for him in Adelaide.  See previous notes above: John Pole (arrived 1857) and Edward & William Puddy and William Pole ( all arrived together  in October 1862).

There is a William Edward George Pole buried at the Wirrabarra Cemetery but can’t be sure this is him. He MAY be a descendant of John Pole. Need  to confirm birth and death dates.
Sarah Pole married George Wood. I have not confirmed if she is a relative yet.

[Prelogue: There are records of a John Pole and Ida Rothburg Blundell in South Australia and from 1861 onwards they had 10 children. These births are registered  in Adelaide. I have NOT proved the link between the John Pole from Somerset, who arrived in SA at age 15 in 1857, and this John and Ida Pole but I would be interested to show that a marriage between a John Pole and Anne Atkins in 1887 was the  second marriage of our John Pole…..or that Ann Atkins actually married John Pole jnr!!! And the Newberry family story passed down verbally that 3 cousins married the 3 Atkins girls is not absolutely correct.]

It is known that John Pole was married to Anne Atkins in 1887 and that their decendants still live in Wirrabarra. In fact Neville Bonneys’ (author and botanist )grandson, 10 yo , told me that he goes to school with some Poles at Wirrabarra while visiting us with Neville in 2012.
NOTE: get  a copy of the Pole family history “Yet still they live”, !

They married at Wongyana at Glenorchy, near Wirrabara years after Jasper Newbery and Edward Puddy married Anne’s sisters at Booleroo station in 1872.
When Jasper and Edward married the Atkins girls in 1872, they married at the residence of John Pole. John Pole was a shepherd at Booleroo and his home must have been pleasant as a setting for marriage. I am thinking that at the time John Pole was living at Booleroo station in the role of shepherd as were his cousins Jasper Newberry and Edward Puddy, he was already married.
MAYBE he was married to Ida and his 10 children were living with him at Booleroo Station and THAT is why his house was worthy of holding the weddings of his cousins!

It is rumoured that to this day, there is a rift in the Pole family.
I am guessing second marriage would do that….but this is pure speculation.

“John Pole (his father listed as Richard Pole) , 25? years old, married Ann Atkins on 23rd December 1887” (website   and   ) John pole was 15 when he arrived on the ship in 1857. This puts his birth date at 1842…making him 45 when he married Ann Atkins who must have been a lot younger and of child bearing age.
Something doesn’t add up here??
Commonly discussed knowledge in the Newberry family was that :-
“We know that the 3 cousins who came out to Australia all married 3 Atkins sisters” , so this should be “our “ John Pole. However, he couldn’t have been 25 as this would put his birth date at c1862 not 1842!
John Pole, from  Somerset, was 15 when he arrived in the colony in 1857, therefore he would have been 45 years old not 25 if this is the same guy who eventually marries Ann Atkins. Of course, there is the extra confusion that it was a son, John Pole jnr that married Ann Atkins in 1887, not the original 15 yo John Pole who arrived ahead of his cousins in 1857. More research needed.

I tend to think that his age was incorrectly reported as his wife’s age was also unknown.

John Pole’s wife, Ann Atkins, was reported to be 20 or 30 years of age at the time of her marriage!
[Who reported this?]  Ann Atkins was the daughter of Edward Atkins and sister to Emily and Margaret who married Edward Puddy and Jasper Newberry 15 years earlier.

John Pole of Wirrabarra, was killed in a shooting accident in 1917 and reported in a newspaper article. His wife Ann remarried a Henry Hatch but died of a broken neck shortly after.

There is a book entitled “Yet still they Live” that came out to celebrate 150 years of Wirrabarra history. It has a lot of Pole family history and some Newberry family history.

[William de la Pole is recorded as living in Somerset , England as early as the year 1400.]

There are currently 2 shearers, listed online, by the name of :
Pole, A.J. & Sons. Private Bag, Wirrabarra 5481.
Pole, J.F. & J.C. Box 10 Pt Germain 5495
Newberry, D.E.,  Lucidon Station via Keith 5267


Edward Puddy (father Robert Puddy), aged 26, married Emily Atkins (born 1850-52) on the 4th May 1872 at the residence of John Pole, shepherd, at Booleroo Station.

There is a large extended Puddy family living in the Port Pirie/Port Augusta region as I have found them on Facebook.

JASPER NEWBERRY (our Great Grandfather)
I have found an entry from the 1861 Census as follows:
Jasper Newberry 
Age:                                       19 years old       
Born:                                     about 1842 in Wiltshire, England.
County:                                                Monmouthshire
Country:                              Wales
Registration Dist:              Bedwelty
Sub. Reg. Dist.                   Aberstruth

ED, institution:                  12
Household Schedule:     239

Jasper’s  father was WILLIAM NEWBERRY (born 1818, Wiltshire , England) and his mother, SARAH NEWBERRY
Jasper Newberry has 2 sisters and a brother back in England.
William Newberry
Sarah Ann
Ellen, born in 1841, and died in Kensington, London at age 62.

Jasper a builder’s labourer, came out to SA (1863) and worked his way up to Wilmington as a builder. He is thought to have worked on the Pitchie Richie Railway and then is reported to be in the Booleroo Station region by 1872 where he met & married Margaret Atkins, the daughter of shepherd, Edward Atkins.
They moved to Wongyana at Glenorchy, near Wirrabara. (See “Glenorchy by Alma Newberry Thompson)

JASPER NEWBERRY, 30, married MARGARET ATKINS (born 1847) at age 25, at John Poles’ residence at Booleroo Station on the 24 December 1872. Margaret was born in the Clare Valley, S.A.
Her father was Edward Atkins and she was the sister of Ann  Atkins who eventually married  John Pole on 23 December , 1887,  15 years later.Their sister Emily Atkins had already married Edward Puddy in 1872 at age about 20 only 7 months earlier.

EDWARD ATKINS, father of the 3 Atkins girls worked at Booleroo Station. He was employed as a Blacksmith and Shepherd.
His first wife was Hannah.( Roslyn Ross Blog)
He is thought to possibly be the convict HENRY EDWIN ATKINS deported for sheep-stealing.
It is thought he was transported to Sydney and on release, came across country to South Australia as there is no record of Edward Atkins arriving in South Australia by ship. There are records of a Henry Edwin Atkins transported to the colony and all trace of him disappeared after he was made a free man in NSW.
He died in 1891 at the home of his son-in-law, Jasper Newberry, at Whyte Park , Wirrabarra.

Mary Jane Newberry                                                                                                                     Died 1875
Ellen Newberry                                                                                                                                 Died 1878
Elizabeth Newberry         Born:  5th November 1880 ;
WILLIAM NEWBERRY (OUR GRANDFATHER ) Born: 14th July 1887 (William Newberry is mentioned later in life as part of the family history of Ann Evans online)
Edith Newberry                                Born: 5th October 1889 (Married Arthur James Baldock)

Jasper Newberry                                             Died 1918-1925  Chelteham : J Newberry (who is this?)

Jasper’s  only son, William (14/7/1887-5/3/1951) married Edith May Martin ( 8/2/1897-2/4/1943)
William was named after his grandfather back in England.
Edith was the 5th child of Charles and Jane Martin (see Martin Family history Book)
Edith was born at Wirrabarra and lived there for about 30 years.
She married William Edward Newberry at Whyte Park, Wirrabara and spent some time as a mail contractor at Wirrabarra. (See Alma’s Glenorchy Story). They moved their family to Port Pirie in about 1930.
They had 7 children; Phillis May, Alma , Frederick , Rex, Vera,  Ivan and Maxwell.

                          GLENORCKY                 Over the Creek  by Alma Newberry
What I’ve been told and what I still remember of Glenorcky:

I have spoken many times in the past to the late Doll and Bill (William came out 1862 with Edward and William Puddy)  Pole.  They are the oldest living relations who would know anything about Grandfather (Jasper)Newberry and Grandmother (Margaret )Newberry.  To this day I am the oldest of the Newberry Family as far as I know.  I remember very well Phyllis, myself and Fred (he was a baby) and also a baby brother Rex (he passed away when only 6 months old). 

Grandfather’s  (Jasper’s) house was a lovely old home very comfortable with a long verandah right across the front.  It was built with pine slabs treated and lined with hessian and painted. (Jasper was a builders labourer back in Wales and so knew how to build a decent home) I can still hear the snakes in summer moving in the hessian bags. 

Grandfather came out from Wales as a teenager (he was 21 ) with three of his cousins, all around the same age.  I don’t know the third one’s name as he didn’t stay as he had a girlfriend back home and he promised her he would go back.(there were several cousins that came out from Wales from John Pole(1857) to Edward Puddy (married Emily Atkins) and William Puddy (his brother) .There was also William (Bill) Pole. William Puddy must have been the one who went back home.

So Grandfather (Jasper) and the Puddy (Edward) boy built their homes at Glenorcky and the Pole boy built his home at Bangor, 2 ½ miles away (There was a John Pole  at Booleroo Station!in the 1870’s so probably moved down to Bangor well after the other two when he married their sister-in-law ann Atkins). The three homes were built the same.  They all had nearly every fruit tree you could think of.  They all had cellars where they kept their meat and other things as there was no electricity in those days.  Those were the days we had plenty of fruit, eggs, butter, milk, cream and home-made bread until the bakers came around to the homesteads.

Grandmother (Margaret Atkins) Newberry was a midwife.  She used to attend the women around our way when they had their babies as hospitals were many miles away.  In those days when the midwife was sent for she would arrive by horse and buggy. 

Our Father (William) in those early years worked at Wirrabara Forest sawing down pines.  Then as I can remember he had a new house built down over the creek very close to the road.  Phyllis and I were very happy to be able to see the horse-drawn buggies going past and perhaps a car also now and then. 

Our Father next drove the mail coach from Glenorcky to Bangor, Murrytown and then to Wirrabara Post Office.  Two or three times a week he drove the coach with two horses delivering the mail.  Later he had a motor coach.

He used to go shearing sheep certain times of the year and travel long distances by horse-back or buggy.  As Phyllis and myself were getting older we were company for our Mother as our Father used to be gone until the shearing was finished as it was probably too far to come home.  Our Father used to employ somebody to drive the mail while he was away shearing.  There was good money in that sort of work.  His relations went shearing too.   They were all good shearers. 

Our Mother  (Edith Martin) must have been very lonely – she used to have a horse and I remember it being called Doll.  She used to have a buggy of her own and she would drive us to our Grandparents (Jasper and Margaret lived at Whyte Park – Edwin Atkins was reported in the newspaper as dying there at the home of his son-in-law) ) at White (Whyte Park) Park.???confusion as to which grandparent Alma is referring to!  Grandfather (Martin) was a foreman at the Pines.  Our Mother used to love gardening and had a lovely garden.  There was no potting soil in those days and our Mother only ever used dirt from the paddocks.  She also made her own trellises for her climbing plants.  
Vera was born later.  She was still young when we left.  Phyllis and I walked 2 ½ miles to school.  We went with others who lived around close to us.  Some were relations.  I had a little pony my father bought.  I used to ride to school but Phyllis did not.  She was too nervous.  I also went messages for my Mother when she was on her own.  I remember he was a nice little pony and then when Fred started school I had to walk and help look after him.  We were all very happy living there in the country but we were all getting older.  Vera used to be company for our Mother although she was very young.

Quite a few of our relations lived around us.  We always had a Happy Xmas.  Our Father sang and played the piano (William was a musician!) in those days.  We used to drive into Murrytown about the nearest place to our house.  Father Xmas was there.  We used to drive in the mail coach which was faster than the horses and buggy.  We always had lots of goodies, lollies etc. which we never got much of in ordinary times. 

We had a cellar where lots of food was kept but when it was very hot our Father used to put all the drinks etc. in a bran bag and tie the bag onto a root of a tree in the creek.  Every time we wanted a cold drink we used to walk down to the creek and get some cool drinks out of the bag.  There was never any beer etc. as our Father and Mother never drank.  The drinks were always very cold in the creek as we did not have any ice chests to keep them in.  We had to put up with hardships but it was never noticed as everybody had to do the same.In the years gone by I often went back.  I used to stay with my grandparents (Jasper and Margaret Newberry) who lived at White Park.

Grandfather (Martin) was the foreman there at the Forest – that was Grandfather and Grandmother Martin, Charles and Jane.  Grandfather Martin was born at “Hill River” near Clare.  He was the 9th child of James and Jane Martin.  His father died when he was 8 years old and his mother remarried a year later.  Grandfather Martin is then believed to have lived with an Uncle in the Locheil district.  He went to Wirrabara Forest where he met and married Grandmother Martin.  During his early years he was a teamster carting wool and wheat from the northern stations to Port Augusta through the PichiRichi Pass.  When he was first married he was often away from home for 6 months at a time.  Later he became employed by Woods and Forest Department in Wirrabara Forest.  He cut cases from pine logs with a pit saw to make the fruit cases before the saw mill started in about 1900.  He was transferred to White Park outstation as foreman in 1910 where he worked until he retired at 65 years of age.  Grandmother Martin was 82 years old when she died and Grandfather Martin was 90 years old.  They are both buried at Wirrabara. 

Gradually our relations who lived around us shifted to Wirrabara and some to Pirie.  We were about the last ones to go from Glenorcky except for the Pole family who lived at Bangor.  To this day there are still Poles living there.  Most of them lived there all their lives.  Bangor is a very pretty place.  Our Father’s (Willam) Aunty and Uncle used to have the hotel there.  Puddy’s was the name(Edward and Emily Puddy).  It was very handy for all the teamsters who used to travel through the Gorge.  Those days bullocks were used instead of horses.

Phyllis, Fred and I were now getting older.  Vera was still very young only a few years old.   We had to sell our horses and cattle that we had.  I can remember it all as though it were yesterday.  We let our house for a few years till we got settled in Pirie.  Ivan and Max were both born in Pirie.

As we were leaving our old house and moving this is the song that we sang:
Good-bye Glenorcky town
Glenorcky town good-bye
We are leaving you today
For a town that’s far away
Although today we are stony- broke
Without a single crown
If we strike a fortune
We will come back and spend it
In dear old Glenorcky.

 As the oldest living relative Alma wanted to share her memories with everyone. She was very proud of her pioneering heritage and family history.

In Pirie Alma started another chapter of her life.  She married, had one son, Brian,  divorced  and became a single mother – values and times were different then but Alma was determined to do it her way.

Alma then moved to Adelaide, met and married a carpenter, Reginald George Thompson, “Tommo” or “Tom” to everyone who knew him.  Alma and Tom had two daughters, Suzanne and Margaret, both born at the Calvary Hospital in North Adelaide.  Alma would often talk about the social values in her early days and how woman were treated so differently then.  The Calvary Hospital had two sections she explained – one, upstairs, for married women and the other, downstairs, for unmarried mothers who had to work for their keep.  Like a lot of men at that time too, Tom did not attend the birth of his children and stayed away celebrating until it was all over. 

Tom and Alma moved to Jamestown and then to Crystal Brook. By now Suzanne and Margaret were at High School and Alma gave Tom an ultimatum  - move to Adelaide with her so that the girls could continue their education or stay in Crystal Brook – he chose to move!   

Tom had a great sense of humour, loved his beer and cigarettes.  He was always telling stories to Suzanne and Margaret - how he had snow fights in the desert or was shot and killed by the enemy when he was in the army. 

At 71 years of age Alma became a grandparent for the first time.  She was absolutely thrilled by the birth of her grandson, Tom, as she thought she was going to be the only one in her family without grandchildren.  Her first comment was about his “big feet” as “big feet meant he was going to be tall – the same as predicting how big a dog will get – “look at their feet” she said!  Twenty three months later she was thrilled to be a grandparent again, this time to a granddaughter, Kim.  A “pigeon pair” she commented.  “I am so lucky!”  
The world that Alma grew up in changed so much over her 90 years.  What didn’t change, though, was her strength of character - her strong will, her superstitious beliefs and suspicious nature, her determination and her compassion for others.  

She would not allow peacock feathers in the house or let 3 candles burn in a row.  She thought hanging your washing on the line on a Sunday and wearing opals was bad luck.  She hated being treated like an “old person” because she was old and being called “dear.”  She would not co-operate or answer questions if she thought that the information some-one was seeking was too personal, irrelevant or just unnecessary. It didn’t matter if they were medical staff, a government agency or a neighbour.  She often preferred to make facial expressions instead!

Alma was very much a family person.  She loved her family unconditionally and “came to life” whenever there was a family function or gathering. She kept memorabilia from her early years to the present - her son’s first booties, her last cigarette, letters and post cards from the war years, photos, invitations and cards.  Alma adored her grandchildren and enjoyed being part of their life.  In later years she became the cherished carer of Maggie and every Thursday it was the “dog’s day out.”  Maggie remained a loyal and faithful companion and visited Alma regularly at the Flinder’s Medical Centre and the Oaklands Nursing Home.
Alma always cared about her health and appearance.  She enjoyed a cup of tea, chose her food carefully, always boiled her drinking water, took her tablets exactly at the same time every day, (except during daylight saving), loved new clothes, always wore make-up and loved anything red. 

Alma was very strong physically and mentally.  She lived independently for nearly 91 years of her life – an amazing feat! 


  1. Hi, my name is Ron Carey,

    Noah Newberry was my 2nd Great Grandfather. Do you have any more information up the line on his father and/or Sarah Harries (is) parents etc. I can be contacted on I am also on ancestory

  2. The issues involvingnewberry independent livinghas been a popular topic amongst scholars for many years. At first glance newberry independent living may seem unenchanting, however its study is a necessity for any one wishing to intellectually advance beyond their childhood. Until recently considered taboo amongst polite society, several of todays most brilliant minds seem incapable of recognising its increasing relevance to understanding future generations.